How to Prep Your Skin for a Spray Tan
Gone are the days of heading to the tanning bed for a little bit of color before a wedding or a beach trip. Tanning beds (and sunning yourself outside) are extraordinarily harmful to your body. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, people who use tanning beds before the age of 35 increase their risk for melanoma by 75% due to the harmful UV radiation exposure.
Luckily, we have the safe alternative of spray tans that can still get us looking nice and bronzed before a big event or just to get a little color before the summer months.
Before you come in for your spray tan appointment, however, there is a small to-do list in order to get the desired look that you want.
Here's everything you need to do to get your skin prepped for a spray tan—and some helpful tips for after-care.
What to Do The Day Before Your Spray Tan
The day before your spray tan is the time to get your skin prepared. It's best to do this skincare routine before you go to bed so that it's as fresh as possible before the appointment.
Here are some things you'll need to do:
- Shave or wax your legs
- Exfoliate thoroughly in the shower. This process is CRUCIAL because it will remove all the dead skin and make it a smoother surface for the spray tan to latch onto. This will also ensure that the tan will go on evenly and last longer.
- Moisturize thoroughly before you go to bed.
Warning: Don't use skincare products that are too heavily scented or perfumed as these tend to leave a film on your skin (which can end up giving you a streaky tan).
What to Do the Day of Your Spray Tan
Your spray tan appointment is finally here! You're *almost* ready to get that gorgeous, healthy glow on, but just remember a few things first:
- Wear dark, loose fitting clothing to your spray tan appointment. It's recommended that you avoid any nylon or lycra clothing, as spray tan solution tends to stain these fabrics.
- Make sure you remove all jewelry, makeup, lotion, skincare products, etc. so that you can ensure that your tan goes on smoothly and evenly.
Note: It may sound weird, but if you're on your menstrual cycle, your hormones can affect the way your tan looks. This isn't super common, but just in case—you might want to reschedule if you are currently going through your cycle.
Spray Tan After-Care Instructions
You've already been to your appointment and now you are looking tan. The next few hours are going to be crucial to keeping that tan fresh.
Here are a few things that you need to do after your spray tan appointment:
- Don't shower for about 7-8 hours before showering or taking a bath. (Basically, it's best to go one night without taking a shower or bath.)
- Avoid wearing socks or shoes after your tan so that the tan can properly set in on your feet.
- Don't apply moisturizers or deodorants for at least 7-8 hours after your spray tan.
- If you can, only wear loose fitting clothing for at least 6 hours after your tan (this includes but is not limited to jeans, bras, spandex, tight shirts, and shoes).
- Try to avoid vigorous exercise or getting into a pool or body of water for at least 6 hours after your spray tan.
- Don't shave any part of your body until 12 hours after your spray tan.
Looking to Book a Spray Tan in Fort Lauderdale?
Get the golden skin you want with a spray tan from Francesca Guerrera Salon & Spa. Call today or visit our facility in Fort Lauderdale, FL to learn more about our pricing and tanning packages!